Group Clinical Supervision (Facilitated peer supervision)
Clinical supervision does not have to take place one-on-one. Having supervision with your team can have practical benefits in that you all get your supervision completed at once and you do it together. However, there are other benefits of working with each other around supervision. You may get to understand your colleagues better and even improve your clinical practice.
Sasha can provide flexible support tailored to you and your team. She already provides clinical supervision to teams working in health services.
This type of approach may also be suitable for teams working in health but who do not have professional requirements to have clinical supervision.
If you want to find out more, just click on the contact button at the bottom of the page.
Requirement to have supervision:
Different professions have different requirements for supervision. Here a some examples of supervision requirements for different professions and for mental health workers generally. You will see that supervision is a major part of practice requirements.
We can look at Benner’s practice pathway.
Benner (1984) proposed that nursing knowledge develops through research and integration into clinical practise and experience. Importantly, experience is not a time based activity, but can only develop in the context of education and knowledge acquisition. Characteristics acquired throughout the registered nurse professional career contribute towards a sustainable profession through (Qld Health):
- role modelling
- clinical leadership
- coaching supervision
- teaching research
Different professions have different practice requirements. You might consider the following when considering whether to seek supervision:
- Are we required to have supervision by our professional code?
- Would we benefit from opportunities to share knowledge and learn?
- Would this ontribute to my professional development and life-long learning?
Is our team hard to work in or do we have problems fulfilling our work to our best ability due to team dynamics
- Does or team experience stress, either due to our work or internal relationship issues?
- Are we engaged in complex work practice?
- Do we struggle to communicate as a team?
- Could our workplace be better if we understood each other better?
- Does your team want to create a positive environment that fosters change?
- Do you want to consider other ways of working, flexible working or are in a ‘change’ environment?
- Does your team just want to be different in how you are get along and feel about your team?